Thursday, October 18, 2012

Doing it Again

She's doing it again. She's growing so fast, I can hardly keep up. At nearly 20 months, she is a bubbly, chatty, busy, funny, adventurous, sweet, smart girl. I can't get over how much she is growing and changing before my eyes. I'm watching her, hearing her learn more each day and I'm seeing tiny glimpses of the person she is becoming, the person she will be.

At her 18 month check up, she weighed in at 25 lbs, 3oz. (75th %) and was 33 1/4" inches long (90th %). A month and a half later, all I know is that she is taller than most children her age or older, and that pants that fit her three weeks ago were too short today. For someone who doesn't eat much, she is growing like a weed.

She's been growing her vocabulary too. She says, and repeats, a lot of words; but she understands so much more. Our reading routine has changed to a "where is/what is that?" game of pointing. She loves books with activities (sliding or lifting flaps, textures, mirrors) and loves any book about an animal, preferably on a farm. Out of the piles of books in her room, she picks out her favorites to read and reread each day. Her current favorites are The Cow Loves Cookies; Curious George; Brown Bear, Brown Bear; The Very Hungry Caterpillar; The Going to Bed Book; and Goodnight, Moon. When she's really tired, she goes straight for Goodnight, Moon. When she's too tired for a book, I rock her while reciting I Love You, Forever (its words ingrained from my own childhood).

She's becoming more focused, sure of herself. She takes my hand in hers and leads me to what she wants or needs. The other night, she grabbed her blanket and milk, took my hand in hers, and led me upstairs for her bath because it was bedtime and I was not moving fast enough.

And, oh my goodness, her blanket. She is more attached to her fuzzy blanket than ever. Her favorite corner is tattered and coming apart at the seems. She takes that corner and rubs it between her thumb and index finger when she's tired, sliding the fuzzy side against the satin. She sucks on the corner in her sleep. I watch her reach for it in the middle of the night, snuggle back into the calm, and settle back to sleep. It is a tent, a game of peek-a-boo, and a cape. She cries and beats on the washing machine when I wash it. I just ordered a back up.
She would rather be outside than anywhere else. We park hop around the city, visiting a park a few times a week. 


When we are inside, she loves stacking blocks, playing dress up, playing musical instruments, and playing with the insane amount of balls we have in our living room. Oh, and dancing. She loves dancing! Our favorite game lately is for me to play fast and slow rhythms on the drum while she runs, hops, and spins to the beat. 


Bath time and bed time are up in the air lately. Some nights, she loves it, some nights, it's a battle. But, story and snuggle time is always, always my favorite. 



Before I know it, we'll have a two year old on our hands. I have a feeling I'll utter these words roughly 765,546,238,891 more times in her life, but I can't believe how fast she's growing up! I'm so thankful for giggles, tiny high fives, and snuggles from my favorite dance partner. Life is good with a toddler.

No comments:

Post a Comment