Wednesday, October 26, 2011

On the Move

8 Months Old

Seriously? Is my baby girl really 8 months old already? I'm shocked. It really seems like only yesterday she was in the NICU. It's amazing how much can change in eight months. Amazing how a 5 pound, 2 ounces preemie has gone from her little NICU incubator of UV light and  monitors to a beautiful, happy, wiggly, giggly, busy eight month old. 






Just looking at the pictures from the hospital today made me catch my breath. I honestly can't remember all of the details following her birth. The days and hours and minutes blend together in my memory. But I remember the immense pride I felt when I got to see her for the first time. I remember tears rolling down my cheeks when I finally got to hold her in my arms. She was no bigger than Husband's hand. So tiny. So fragile, yet so strong. I knew that day that she was a fighter. She was driven. She was going to make it into this world no matter what.

Well today, she is certainly strong. Certainly driven. At eight months old, she is sitting up so tall. She is easily moving and scooting all over the place. While she isn't officially crawling yet, she will not be slowed. She is everywhere and into everything and we are quickly embarking on baby proofing territory. She can no longer be constrained by her swing. We  have sadly dissembled one of her first favorite things and packed it away until another little one graces our household.

She loves to be outside. She loves people, especially other children, and is always a smiley, giggly girl in public. She still loves her furry friend Banks. She plays with her tiny piano and her stacking rings daily, among (many) other things, and loves a singing green frog that her cousin Lydia loaned her. She's learning to entertain herself but still very much prefers for you to be there and has no problem letting you know how she feels. There are still days where she wants to be held the majority of the time, but I cherish it. I know days like these are fleeting.

She's eating like a big girl, devouring nearly everything I've made for her. Her current favorite vegetables are butternut squash and peas. She is not a huge fan of mashed potatoes, but will tolerate them. She doesn't love most fruit, but loves raspberry and roasted banana puree and newly, blueberry yogurt. Overall, she is easy to please in the food department. I'm hoping it stays that way!

She is so much fun. She babbles all day long, sometimes to me, sometimes to herself. She laughs and smiles constantly and it is such a joy to spend my days with her. I cannot wait to see what the next months (and years) bring because I can't imagine it being any more fun than it is right now.

Happy 8 months, my little love.

No comments:

Post a Comment