Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Our Son

Poor little boy. He's not even here yet and he's already suffering from second child syndrome. But, even though I can't focus 100% on him all of the time, I am 100% in love with him.

We've had a name picked out for months, but I kept waiting for time to share it. I was waiting for a break in life when I could sit down and tell the world that my son has a name. But, there is never time for anything unless I stay up until 1:00 in the morning. So, here I am. 

Before we knew C's gender, we were settled on a boy's name. She actually took us by surprise because we could not agree on a girl's name at all. So, when we found out we were having a son, we felt like we had a name. Then, we had to question it for a few weeks, saying it aloud, pairing it with his sister's name, writing it at the top of a piece of paper. But, even after all of our "testing," we were settled.

We both come from very Southern stock, so it's no surprise that we wanted to honor our family with his name. We just didn't expect to be able to honor both of our families simultaneously. Somehow, we managed to do so!

In January, we will welcome Wilson Arthur Ryan to our family.

Wilson is the maiden name of both of our maternal grandmothers (what are the odds?). It is also the name of Andrew's uncle, whom we love dearly. 

Arthur is my maternal grandfather's name, as well as my uncle's. Big Daddy is honestly my hero. He is one of the strongest and most selfless men I know and I hope his namesake makes him proud.

Wilson will also share the same initials as Husband (WAR), which I think is really special. There is so much stock in a name. Who will our son become? Will his name help or hinder him in his career? Is it classic? What will it look like in history books?

It is impossible to predict who our son will become; but it is our job to give him a name strong enough to carry him wherever he may go. I cannot wait to hold our son, Wilson, in my arms and call him by his name. I cannot wait to tell him how special he is and how special the people from which he is named are. Most importantly, I can't wait to tell him how loved he is every single day of my life. A name is only the beginning of his legacy.

Baby Wilson, we can't to meet you.

No comments:

Post a Comment